DON’T MISS OUT

Get updates on new articles, webinars and other opportunities:

A Pro Designer Shares the Psychology of Font Choices [Infographic]

by Ted Hunt

Did you ever think that the font type you choose for your logo could say something about you and your business?

Or that it could convey your message in a certain light?

Today’s infographic covers the psychology behind type choices. You will learn how serif, sans serif, script, modern, and display typefaces and their fonts are best used for moving your audience to feel how you want them to feel.

You should take careful consideration when choosing a logo font. As you may already know, people have certain feelings, emotions, and associations when they see certain colors. What you may not realize is that they have a similar response to typefaces and fonts.

So, for example, if you want to portray that your business is traditional or respectable, you might want to consider a serif typeface. If you want to people to see your business as stable or modern, you should lean towards a sans serif typeface.

Looking even deeper into typefaces, particular fonts convey unique things.

For instance, the modern font…

century-gothic

The sans serif font…

calibri-clean

If you want people to feel that your business is reliable…

baskerville

Read on to find out which fonts you should be using for your business logo to pull the right emotions from your audience.

A little font change can go a long way

Psychology_Behind_Type

As examples of different emotions, consider these brands and their typeface choice.

Script

cadillac-logo

Cadillac’s use of script font embodies their motto of elegance and sophistication.

Display

Disney-logo

Disney know’s how to please, and their selection of a display font has proven to become one of the most recognizable and boldest logo’s in the World.

Serif

google-font

Simple but respectable. Google is the benchmark for stability and reliability for many of us. Its serif font has a calming influence.

Modern

Hulu1

It’s not surprising that hulu decided to go with something bold and untested with their logo typeface. Hulu’s logo has the progressive edge that it needs to capture the attention of users.

Sans Serif

LinkedIn-Logo-2C

When you’re the online social medium platform that sets the standard for professionalism, it’s easy to understand the logic behind LinkedIn’s font choice. This sans serif font is clean and business-like, suggesting LinkedIn will help you complete your business objectives.

Further reading

For more examples, check out these font combinations.

Need help finding the right font for your brand? Here’s how in 5 steps.

Now you…

What’s the ultimate determining factor when you choose a typeface for your brand and business?

26 Comments

DON’T MISS OUT

Get updates on new articles, webinars and other opportunities:

Ted Hunt

Teddy Hunt is a freelance content writer with a focus on technology. When not behind a computer, Teddy spends the majority of his free time outdoors and resides in Tampa, Florida. Follow him on Twitter

26 COMMENTS

Comment Policy

Please join the conversation! We like long and thoughtful communication.
Abrupt comments and gibberish will not be approved. Please, only use your real name, not your business name or keywords. We rarely allow links in your comment.
Finally, please use your favorite personal social media profile for the website field.

SPEAK YOUR MIND

Your email address will not be published.

1. Surjeet says:
    January 19, 2016 at 3:26 am

I like making Infographics that effects visualization of a person. However I forget that font styles also impacts the screening of your message. Your infographic helps me a lot to understand the effective uses of fonts. Thanks “Ted Hunt” for your support. I also recommend others to considered the relation of font and your information that you’re presenting.

2. Terry says:
    July 8, 2015 at 2:36 am

i had never thought about the psychology behind the selection of fonts… im just amazed at how much information is out there on this. very interesting article.

3. David Werimo says:
    June 2, 2015 at 9:06 am

type has a long history in design and to date their are lots of them.type as it is just like colour has impact on the audience and tells a lot about the user.thanks for the article.

• June 2, 2015 at 9:33 am

David, it’s an interesting study, isn’t it?

4. Ed Vega says:
    May 14, 2015 at 1:17 am

take a look at my blog inspired by this blog EGManila.blogspot.com
    thanks also for giving me permission to use alot of this blog to my blog I Hope I’ve done it Right…

again thanks for Permission!

5. Ed Vega says:
    May 6, 2015 at 10:48 pm

Hi this infographic is so useful I’m wondering if would you allow me to use it for my blog and give you a back link to this please…

• May 7, 2015 at 9:31 am

Yes, Ed. Link back to this page, and you have my permission.

• Ed Vega says:
        May 11, 2015 at 5:03 am

thanks for the quick response yes Il give a link to this web site thanks again

I am From the philippines and we love you

6. Juanis says:
    March 24, 2015 at 9:48 am

Hiya was just wondering, Im using the image with the infographics, and I need to reference it.. How should I do that? Thanks

• March 24, 2015 at 5:36 pm

Thanks for asking, Juanis. List Crazy Egg as the source, and link to the page of that article.

7. Matthew says:
    March 18, 2015 at 10:26 am

What is the font used for the heading of the infographic?

8. ludwe says:
    March 2, 2015 at 12:59 am

hi! thank you guys this was so useful to my project that i am busy with right now. keep on doing good work.

9. Anouk van der Pas says:
    February 22, 2015 at 10:34 am

Hi Ted! Your post is very useful. Do you have any idea whether that infographic is based on a real survey or not? And if so, do you know where I can find more information about the survey? Thank you!

10. Reyven says:
    November 5, 2014 at 3:49 am

I am a web designer/developer and I am really eager to design a meaningful logo for myself based on my initials. This article helped me understand what I am trying to achieve.
    Thank you. 🙂

• Neil Patel says:
      November 5, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Reyven, glad we could help. Please let us know if you need help with anything else.

11. Belle says:
    March 27, 2014 at 7:32 pm

Ted… thank you for sharing some great wisdom in your posts
    much gratitude
    Belle

12. Michael Freitas says:
    March 26, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Hi Ted good article. What font is The Daily Egg using for their headlines and for this text “A little font change can go a long way”. Looks like a good infographic font. Thanks.

13. March 7, 2014 at 6:51 pm

This is great information. Thank you! Ana DeShields

14. February 5, 2014 at 2:20 am

thank for this information, i’m looking for a font type that like handwriting to make logo font, e.x : homemade apple font but more beautiful.

15. Uris McKay says:
    November 29, 2013 at 1:31 pm

I did not give font choices much thought. Thank you for the very helpful info.

16. Taylor Dean says:
    July 18, 2013 at 3:35 am

thanks for the informations. very usefu tips.

17. Cyril says:
    July 5, 2013 at 10:27 am

Ted, thank you for useful post.
    Can I use the mentioned above fonts for designing landing pages in titles, subtitles, text?

• Teddy Hunt says:
      July 5, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Hi Cyril,

Sure! These days, I think it’s important to experiment with different fonts. Just make sure it’s something that you would like to associate your brand with.

Show Me My Heatmap

Ah, @CrazyEgg I really do love you! So useful evaluating how users are interacting with all aspects of our zanerobe.com redesign

Mike Halligan